Pages

Saturday 27 February 2016

Spotted Redshank and Green Woodpecker


During last week I took another trip down to Hole's Bay and Upton Country Park to try once again to see the Spoonbills that have been present in the north bay area. Unfortunately no joy in finding any Spoonbills again!!! They are truly are an elusive bird that evades me every time!! Some day I'll see one up close!

To my surprise I managed to refind several Spotted Redshanks that I saw a few weeks back. These scarce wintering waders are one my favourites and this individual bird gave Mega views from the north channel area in North Hole's Bay.

We watched the Spotty Redshank for a good hour as it fed alongside a Little Egret, 1 Common Redshank, several Wigeon and Black-tailed Godwit. A truly lovely experience and a rare one to see these great birds close up and confiding, allowing me take some notes, sketches, get good images and learn more ID skills.

I even managed to hear the bird call and see it chase off a Common Redshank who ventured to near it's feeding patch. A wonderful sight.

Also present was a large flock of 200+ Avocet and Black-tailed Godwit out on the saltmarsh which provided some great ariel display as a Peregrine tried to snatch one mid-air!!

Happy to see the Spotted Rdshank and the vast wader flocks around the reserve I was sure that would be the highlight of the day.... I was wrong!! 

On way back to the car park I noticed two birds moving in the long tussock, ant mound covered field to my right. Quick look in the bins and I had 2 Green Woodpeckers (male&female) feeding right in front of me!! I was in luck.....Green woodpecker has been another one of these birds that I never have seen close up or had good views of before. I slowly took my camera out and fired some images off. Happy I got some decent shots I sat on the ground behind an Oak tree along the fence line hoping they might approach nearer for better views.

After 10mins or so, another bird dropped into view about 5 metres from me and fed happily undisturbed. I was shaking like a leaf and could not believe my luck. All 3 birds in one view feeding on Ants emerging from the mound hills...incredible!!!

A few moments later some dog walkers quickly passed by and the birds took off with their laughing call and flew deep into the nearby stand of birch and oak trees.

Another magic moment to be up close with such an amazing bird and I think now, wondering when will the next time I see Green Woodpecker that close!! Time will tell.

A few images below of the Spotted Redshank showing all the ID features and the Green Woodpecker.

Spotted Redshank at Hole's Bay...Giving mega views at the channel





Green Woodpecker



No comments:

Post a Comment