Pages

Sunday 7 February 2016

Water Rail


A quick walk around the local patch which has been recently flooded by rain and I heard the familiar sound a Water Rail.... a harsh pig-like squeal coming from the dense undergrowth.

The Rail was very close to me but could not see it!!! After waiting for a short while I had several glimpses of the bird running about under the willow scrub. I had some great views of it as it ran passed but could not get any clear shots. I waited longer hiding low down along the track over looking  small pool surrounded by brambles in hope the Water Rail may come forwards.

After about 10mins I was in luck, the Rail came out into a relatively open patch of exposed mud and started feeding in front of me!! I was shaking like a leaf, I never seen Water Rail this close up or ever seen the detail on their amazing plumage. Absolutely stunning birds!!

I fired off a few shots and then watched the Rail no more than 3 metres from me until when a second bird joined and started displaying to each other with loud calling!! It was amazing to witness. The moment did not last very long and both birds ran into dense over and there was silence. The moment lasted about 15mins or so and I wonder when I will see a Water Rail like that again next time!!

So glad I took the camera!! Despite low light levels in the wood and having ISO 1000 I am pretty pleased to obtain any decent shot of this elusive bird up close.

A day not to forget!

Water Rail showing well down to 3 metres

No comments:

Post a Comment