Pages

Thursday 7 July 2016

Great Crested Grebes-Black Park Lake


While up in the Uxbridge/Slough area of London for a few days, I spent a bit of time exploring Black Park Country Park and Langley Park. Both parks are fantastic for wildlife and today I got a very close encounter with some Great Crested Grebes on Black Park lake. These stunning birds never cease to amaze me with their stunning colourful plumage, constant swimming & diving behaviour. In spring their elegant courtship display is something not to miss each year. 

At least two pairs have successfully nested and fledged young this year on the lake. This bird was fishing close to the lake edge, totally oblivious to my presence watching from the embankment as it caught several small fish which it fed to it's rather large chick. A lovely encounter and I got some nice images of the adults and chicks in afternoon light.








No comments:

Post a Comment